[Dixielandjazz] Crimehouse Blues

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 18 01:30:43 EST 2019

REQUIEM FOR A SHARP MINER

A printer called Lhal he lived in a hole
and wanted much music under control
of his banker no less, who had him compose
body and soul over Johnny Green's nose
and weave from synthetics a mink ersatz stole
singing: honest musicians have died on the dole

Lhal lived in a hole, you'd call it a vault
and you'd better take with 2 buckets of salt
Lhal's name on a page of musical script
off which the credit's been readjusted
a pity such corporations don't get busted
and it's off so much off gets ripped.

What else bears the name, maybe Boom Bang-a-Bang,
a song of scant worth which some infants once sang?
I'd prefer Johnny Armstrong, where the border rebel
sings his last goodnight on the way down to Hell:
it surely must swing for he first of all has to hang.....
 (Spoken interlude in the baest Gneshville,
beginning in tones of adwhorationplucking floated toward an audience on banjo)
Lhal  -- Lhaaal -- who of course hadn't read this even after he wrote it!I'm sure he'd be absolutely delighted to have provided a musical setting.Poor fellow, he needs somebody to do that for him  --
have you people no compassion? More likely the setting already existsvandalised in a corner with somebody else's name written on it ...
and when this number is over I want you all to stand to attentionand sing

here's to our glorious Lhalhis best almost only pal
glad to have, without a fuss,composed all we have, for us --our gall Lhal!

(signed) Honored Lhal