[Dixielandjazz] Sit or stand expanded

philwilking philwilking at cox.net
Sun Feb 17 19:15:13 EST 2019

If you play it well, our kind of jazz always gets an audience moving to it.
When that happens, does anybody else remind an audience that much jazz music
started as dance music? You'll inevitably get an "But I don't know the
steps," or some such. To which the answer is "Make up your own, that's what
they did when the tune first came out."

Assuming there is even a little space, if you can get just one couple up and
moving together, you will get more doing it. That will make them happy. If
they move vigorously, they will buy more beer, which should make the saloon
keeper happy. When the saloon keeper sees that the band increases business
(believe it or not, that can be un-obvious to some, even as it happens), he
will be inclined to hire it again. That will make the musicians happy.

Everybody's happy, where's the down-side?

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com

"Only two things are infinite:
the Universe and Human Stupidity.