[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 18:17:06 EST 2019

Just back from a very good jazz gig - the Isradixie Band celebrated the
90th birthday of its soprano saxophonist Jacques Sany.  Many Happy returns,
Jacques!
The programme was hardly surprising, although I hadthe feeling that some
arrangements changed - not sure.   Mainly standards, the Nahum
Perefrikovitch original "To New Orleans with Love," written for a benefit
concert for New Orleans musicians following the Katrina hurricane, some
Bechet songs, and the indefatigable nonagenarian also sang a few songs in
French.
On that festive occasion there were guests who were associated with Jacques
over his long career n Israel (he has been playing here since 19610: Eli
and the Chocolate Factory and the clarinettist (and saxophonist, although
not on this occasion) Albert Piamenta, also exactly a spring chicken.  The
Chocolatiers played mostly traditional standards, but also Ellington's
"Mood Indigo" and a more recent "Miami Rumba."  For one number they were
joined by Jacques,with whom they have been associated for quite a few
years.  There were also the inevitable greetings, and the ambiance was a
very happy one.
By the way, Jacques is not the only nonagenarian in the band - so is Merton
Cahm, who celebrated his 90th birthday last January.
I'm happy to report that the new Shablul Jazz sold out!
A very happy evening.