[Dixielandjazz] Sydney fires

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Dec 8 15:11:52 EST 2019

> Hoping our listmates from the Sidney area are safe!

Good morning Marek,
Thank you for your concern.
I do not know of any Listmates directly affected by the disastrous fires in and near Sydney.
However, if you see the Sydney Harbour Bridge or the Opera House surrounded by flames you will know that the Haeslers are in trouble, as we live less than a kilometre across the water from both.
Unfortunately, our extensive Harbour is full of smoke daily, causing severe problems for those with breathing difficulties.
Nationally, a long drought and hundreds of fires across millions of hectares in all Australian states and territories is now a calamitous event.
On one day a week or so back, not one centimetre of rain was recorded in the whole of our large dry continent.
The use of the word "unprecedented" in the press to describe it all is unprecedented, and the cleanup and regrowth with take years.
Kind regards,
Bill.