[Dixielandjazz] What note would Louis Armstrong Pick?

BILL SHARP a1tradtrmpt at att.net
Sun Aug 25 13:31:29 EDT 2019

A friend with whom I had a lengthy talk about  learning and teaching improvisation sent me the following information  --
I was reminded of your improvisation approach by a YouTube posted recently by one of our trumpet-playing members.

He researched (numerically) the notes in chords that Louis Armstrong favored in his playing and calculated the likelihood that each would be played.

His presentation was titled What note would Louis Armstrong Play?  (WWLAP)

I think it will be of interest to you as it confirms what I remember about your approach to learning how to improvise.

You can find the link to the video here:
https://www.irealb.com/forums/showthread.php?20543-New-Orleans-Trumpet-A-Down-Home-Conservatory-Method-(book)-Jim-Thornton&p=56860#post56860 <https://www.irealb.com/forums/showthread.php?20543-New-Orleans-Trumpet-A-Down-Home-Conservatory-Method-(book)-Jim-Thornton&p=56860#post56860>
I found it to be well worth my time.  Having watched it, it totally supports my own method for how I learned to improvise (and still learning). Chord tones it is, baby!!!

“Music-is-how-feeings-sound”

Bill Sharp