[Dixielandjazz] Madrid, musical night scene videos, Canal Street Jazz Band

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Wed Apr 10 09:02:37 EDT 2019

Once again, we had a late nite gig (starting at 12:30am!) at a Madrid Dance
Club.  Great crowd, dancing to anything & everything, but mainly Swing
numbers.

Below are 3 links to short examples of some of our numbers.  Always pleasant
to play this gig, although it means dragging piano, amps & drums down a long
flight of stairs!!  They even have one of our early posters placed over the
bar in a backlit frame.  The only band to have been given this honor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9VqW-9vkO8   Moonlight Serenade

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZKpWR6iHmM>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZKpWR6iHmM  In The Mood

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGiMNQgj5C8>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGiMNQgj5C8  Charleston

We recently had a local jazz club close its doors.  Also, a restaurant that
gave us up to 3 nites a month sold out to another restaurant next door, and
they don't want music!  Last year, Madrid lost two other jazz clubs.  Shame.

I was recently in London, and saw a number of bars & restaurants that said
they had bands, or jazz bands.  I enquired in two.  One had a lone sax
player honking once a week to his recorded (in the box) backing band.  The
other, a high end restaurant in the center of the theater area of London,
featured once a week pianist with a singer, or a guitarist with a singer.
Economics are taking its toll on everyone!

When I first arrived in Spain in the late 1960's, I played in a 6 piece
house band 7 nights a week (from midnite to 4am), 11 months a year!  And,
that house band, including myself, were busy in the recording studios every
day, often from 9am until 9pm, backing all types of recordings from Flamenco
to Rock to Jazz, to semiclassical!  Different times...

Jim