[Dixielandjazz] The Mysterious Axman's Jazz

Maurice Walker mwalker637 at aol.com
Tue Apr 9 22:04:35 EDT 2019

Hi, Phil, The Big Little Ragtime Band (loosely related to Denver's Queen City Jazz Band) tried to make something out of this because it has such an interesting story associated with it.  It resisted our best efforts because musically it's like what Gertrude Stein once said about Oakland: "there is no 'there' there."  Anybody who can manage to do more with it has all my respect. Maurie Walker >>Starting in 1918 and continuing into 1919, a series of axe murders (never
solved) occurred in New Orleans.
After several killings, the Times-Picayune (the local daily newspaper) received a letter in which the writer, claiming to be the killer, said he
was a fan of jazz music and would spare anyone who spent a specified night
playing jazz. With nothing to lose, many people did so.
The murders stopped.

To commemorate this episode, a local songwriter wrote "The Mysterious
Axman's Jazz." The tune is mediocre ragtime, not jazz, and therefore the
sheet music is rare. If anyone would like to try this tune, just to say you
have done so, I have a copy in PDF form which I can send as a reply to an
email request.
Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com
<<