[Dixielandjazz] Blue Prelude

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Mon Sep 3 11:50:24 EDT 2018

If you want to hear the classic interpretation of "Blue Prelude" by a
pair of masters, listen to the Capitol "Beauty and the Beat" CD by Peggy
Lee and George Shearing. You'll never hear the lyrics delivered more
beautifully. This was originally done in 1959, supposedly in concert,
and it was a version with an audience added that we had for years. Then,
fortunately, and in an unlikely display of conscience, Capitol brought
out the original studio version as it had been recorded, with no
audience! It's a wonderful session with 14 perfectly chosen songs, with
Peggy delivering her best on 13 of them ("Mambo in Miami" is an
instrumental).

Woody did a nice version of it, too, but I imagine dragging Dukes of
Dixieland fans up as high as Peggy Lee is enough for one day.

Steve Voce

On 03/09/2018 12:10, Jim Kashishian wrote:
> Thanks to all of you who posted info & audio of Frank Asunto's version
> of "Blue Prelude".  I had forgotten that they did it in such a dirge
> style.  We do it with a normal ballad rhythm.  I was happy to hear
> that I still maintain the melody line in the way Frank played it, as
> I've always wanted it to be a reminder to me as to what a good
> trombonist he was.  I was surprised to hear, however, that he used so
> much vibrato.  I prefer to sound a note, finishing off the tail of the
> note with a touch of slide vibrato, rather than playing the whole note
> wobbly.  All down to styles, I suppose.  I vividly recall learning the
> song by playing along with the record over & over when I was 18 years
> old (59 yrs ago!).  I ended the song the other night by singing (for
> the 1st time) the last chorus, ending with a "Good....bye" before the
> band hit the last note. Very effective.  I had just watched all the
> great Gospel music played during the Aretha Franklin funeral, which
> put me in the mood to try singing the song!  Very emotional!
>
> Jim
>

> Sent from TypeApp <http://www.typeapp.com/r?b=13549>

---