[Dixielandjazz] Dukes, Blue Prelude

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Sep 3 07:10:30 EDT 2018

Thanks to all of you who posted info & audio of Frank Asunto's version of "Blue Prelude".  I had forgotten that they did it in such a dirge style.  We do it with a normal ballad rhythm.  I was happy to hear that I still maintain the melody line in the way Frank played it, as I've always wanted it to be a reminder to me as to what a good trombonist he was.  I was surprised to hear, however, that he used so much vibrato.  I prefer to sound a note, finishing off the tail of the note with a touch of slide vibrato, rather than playing the whole note wobbly.  All down to styles, I suppose.  I vividly recall learning the song by playing along with the record over & over when I was 18 years old (59 yrs ago!).  I ended the song the other night by singing (for the 1st time) the last chorus, ending with a "Good....bye" before the band hit the last note.  Very effective.  I had just watched all the great Gospel music played during the Aretha Franklin funeral, which put me in the mood to try singing the song!  Very emotional!

Jim

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​