[Dixielandjazz] Hearing loss again

philwilking philwilking at cox.net
Tue Oct 9 16:30:51 EDT 2018

One of the riverboat band leaders from New Orleans was famous for his
admonition to his drummer, which should be a guide to the whole rhythm
section for playing in a balanced manner, "I don't want to hear you. I just
want to miss you when you're gone."

I try to use this as a guiding principle as a banjoist.

Rather than blasting to try to force an audience to shut up and listen to
you, use the old speechmaker's trick of playing so well, in a restrained
manner, that they voluntarily stop talking in order to hear you. You will
play better and you will last longer and you will get compliments on the
quality of your sound.

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com

Those who would exchange freedom for security
deserve neither freedom nor security.