[Dixielandjazz] Wild Bill Davison

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Nov 28 18:55:23 EST 2018

> Bill (Davison) was his own man who came up listening to Louis (as 'they' all did), Bix and Louis Panico.

Thus is the first time I've seen Louis Panico named in the same sentence with Armstrong and Bix. Can he really have been much of an influence on Wild Bill and his generation? The YouTube pieces by Panico's band don't show a lot that sounds like a jazz pioneer—more like a precursor of the Mickey Mouse bands that persisted for decades in hotels playing "businessman's bounce" tempos for old guys with trophy wives. (I exaggerate, but not by much.) Panico is credited with popularizing the "war-wah" muted trumpet and "laughing cornet" gimmick with Isham Jones, but those hardly merit placement with Satch and Bix. The wah-wah effect is executed brilliantly by Johnny DeDroit at 1:46 in the 1924 "Eccentric Rag" solo below, and other jazzmen had long been bending notes to effectively well before Panico.
Charlie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BJTRDaSY7A