[Dixielandjazz] Wild Bill Davison

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Nov 27 17:13:42 EST 2018

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just listened to an off-radio cassette featuring Franz Jackson on the occasion of his then forthcoming visit here.  A few numbers also featured Wild Bill Davison.  According to the announcer (who must have read it in the liner notes to the record), Wild Bill had been referred to as "the white Louis Armstrong."
> I have never came across such a reference.  Has any of you?

Dear Marek,
Yes, it pops up every now-and-then in biographical pieces, including Wikepedia.
But not applicable, so far as I am concerned.
Bill was his own man who came up listening to Louis (as 'they' all did), Bix and Louis Panico.
The original reference to "the white Louis Armstrong" occurred in 1931, when Davison's big band was playing a 'battle of the bands contest' against Tiny Parham's orchestra at the Savoy Ballroom, for which a sign outside announced the appearance of "Wild Bill Davison, the white Louis Armstrong".
To Bill's astonishment.
It was also the first time the term 'Wild' was added to his name, and not immediately adopted.
Refer to page 100 of Hal Willard's 1996 Davison biography 'The Wildest One. The Life of Wild Bill Davidson' for the full details.
Cheers,
Bill.