[Dixielandjazz] Mark O'Connor

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Nov 10 02:47:46 EST 2018

Marsalis is clearly playing marvelous bebop. Sax man shows signs of Coltrane. The bassist is playing on 1 and 3 most of the way behind the fine violin and guitar, then moves in a brisk 4/4 with the horns. The drummer solos with clever rim and closed sock stuff, swing-style around-the-drums playing. And everyone  is swinging and digging what everyone else is doing. Moral—good jazz performance is good jazz performance, and genre wars are wasteful.

Charles