[Dixielandjazz] Ory and Basie and Jimmie Rushing on piano

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Tue May 29 14:52:13 EDT 2018

The clarinetist referred to was Caughey Roberts,whose name was pronounced, I was told long ago, as if the GH was SHand the O as in Cosh, Tosh, Bosh, Dosh, Posh or even Quash (I list those words to try to squeeze out regional variants and he was the man replaced by Earle Warren in Basie's band ... Well, previous to working for Basie, Jimmy Rushing worked for Jelly Roll Morton ...
and for piano fanatics, there is about a half-hour of Jimmie (alternative spelling) playing piano as well as singing in the Ralph Gleason TV series, whose copyright owners have managed, with better success than people complaining about very nasty and violent things, to have YouTube pull it (somebody else then uploaded it). The DVD is recommended, like the solo Joe Sullivan, though it's possible Joe plays even better on the Muggsy Spanier item.Caughey was the young man who went West, Jimmie went mid-west.Another young man who went West was called Brooks, and played very well on Ory recordings and on film with Ory, and besides elsewhere his playing was mimed to by Cary Grant, when this particular Brooks was M.D. to Mae West, in a film in which the young C.G. asks "Hevnt you ever met a menn who could make you really heppy" (mixed regional variant, he meant happy"