[Dixielandjazz] Tony Pringle, RIP

Ron L'Herault lherault at verizon.net
Thu May 3 17:55:18 EDT 2018

I was just told by a close friend of both the band and Tony that he passed
away this afternoon after a valiant battle to come back after aortic surgery
and a heart attack.  I can't even describe how bad I feel right now.  From
the first moment I heard Tony play, I knew I was in the presence of a great
horn player.   And as I listened to the New Black Eagle Jazz Band more and
more, I came to realize that he was an equally gifted leader of the band.
He could build incredible excitement without increasing volume, altering
tempo or changing key.  By the time he piloted the band to the out chorus,
the audience, me included were about ready to burst with joy.  I've never
heard anyone else do what he did and in the time I have left I'm sure I
never will.  I was privileged to be a fan and band-boy for the band and
honored to be Tony's friend.

Ron L'Herault