[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 18:38:25 EDT 2018

In my last posting I mentioned leaving soon for the DSC Band concert in
Tel-Aviv.  Now I'm back and trying to give a short description.  The
concert was labelled "Tribute to Benny Goodman;" hence, other than the
theme - Way Down Yonder -  it consisted of Benny Goodman standards, such as
"Moonglow," After You've Gone," "Stomping at the Savoy," and the inevitable
"Sing Sing Sing" (well played, but I am not too keen on long drum solos).
Playing was great, as it has been with that band for the last 73 years.
Unfortunately, this time the band was pianoless, and the piano was
definitely missing, in particular on the quartet numbers.  On the other
hand, the two clarinet players (the young David Lukács and the veteran  Bob
Kaper who joined the band in 1966 and has been the leader since 1990), with
different styles and sound, were definitely an asset and provided variety;
none, by the way, quite emulated the BG sound.
An excellent show.  But there was one snag: The ticket was 199 shekels
(about 55 dollars) was bit stiff for an hour long concert.
Cheers