[Dixielandjazz] The World Championship of Jazz: The Complete Story...

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 16 23:33:42 EDT 2018

 Dick Baker <djml at dickbaker.org> wrote:
> ...or More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About the Subject
> The complete history of the 1975 event was reported in "Tailgate Ramblings," the newsletter of the Potomac River Jazz Club.  I was the editor of that publication in 1975, and I organized one of the largest out-of-town delegations (c. 65 people) to go to the event.  The PRJC knew Max Collie well, because his Rhythm Aces had played several times for us.

Dear Dick,
Thank you for the informative links.
Indicating that our Australian Graeme Bell was a WCJ judge. Another thing that I had also forgotten.
In his 1988 book, 'Graeme Bell. Australian Jazzman', Graeme devotes most of page 360 to the event.
He and Milt Gabler sat together and "diligently gave the bands the marks they deserve.'
Graeme, who knew Max Collie form the old days in Melbourne, Australia does not reveal who he voted for (and I suspect he didn't) commented that "...although individually inferior to many of the other musicians, the Collie band's use of light and shade presentation put most bands to shame and, after all, it was a competition of bands, not individuals."

And congratulations. the PRJC newsletter "Tailgate Ramblings" was a very fine jazz magazine under your editorship.
Kind regards,
Bill.