[Dixielandjazz] Tiger Rag

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Sun Apr 15 11:14:41 EDT 2018

A little trick I borrowed from Bob Havens years before I ever saw him
actually doing it on YouTube (yes, he is on YouTube doing something equally
silly!).  I've been doing this for years when I feel the audience is up to
it.

One day, when standing on a street corner at a red light, a lady I had never
seen before said to me "you didn't do it last night"!  I had no idea what
she was talking about, but I found out that she had been at one of our
concerts the day before and was disappointed I didn't "do it"!!!

Brings me back to something I learned from watching Teddy Buckner's band so
many, many nights at the Beverly Caverns in Los Angeles when I was young.
He had various "tricks" he would do.  One was to begin to laugh while trying
to start a song.  He had a very contagious laugh, and he would repeat the
count-off over & over, never quite making it until he had the whole audience
roaring with laughter.  The nights he DIDN'T do that trick, I was
disappointed!  So, while the band may get tired of certain things, or
certain songs, it is good to remember that the audience never tires.

Anyway, here's the video to expose to the world, well at least to DJML, what
I get up to sometimes:

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZDfPMhrZrk>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZDfPMhrZrk

Jim (you'll have to come to Spain to actually see it in person!)