[Dixielandjazz] The Canal St. Jazz Band of Madrid

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Mon May 15 09:45:19 EDT 2017

I was very pleased to read that Marek has credited my band with the “best rendition” of “Hindustan” he’s ever heard!  I certainly take that as meaning a lot as we all know that Marek is an avid listener to both live and recorded Jazz.  And, he can be very critical!

Our latest CD (50th Anniversary) was recorded live over many different nights in many different places over a period of time, and then I selected the best songs for the CD.  So, what the buyer gets is what we sound like live.

The earlier CD (45th Anniversary) is also live, but has the best songs from our 4 other CDs, spanning a period from 1980 to 2010.  Therefore, some songs have our previous sop sax player on it, and two different trumpeters.  Perhaps not quite as “raw” a recording as the newer one.  The rawness is what probably keeps the excitement present!

In discussing another well-known band, no longer in existence, Marek and I agreed to not agree on much about the band.  However, we did agree that the recordings had been “arranged” to the point of losing the excitement that the band should have had.

We try not to be too arranged, and keep everything fresh as possible, even after all of these years.  That way we don’t get bored, nor do our audiences!

Jim (Canal Street Jazz Band, Madrid)