[Dixielandjazz] two comments -- and swing

Andrew Homzy andrew.homzy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 14:57:20 EDT 2017

Hello Robert - et al.

I’ve been enjoying the conversation and rather than lamenting the inclusion of links to recordings which illustrate the complaints of praise proffered, I thought to introduce a tangent -

What Wynton Marsalis has done with Jazz At Lincoln Center has finally produced a remarkable body of musicians and works which will need to be acknowledged by historians and critics of the music.

Although Wynton seems to have trouble including women in his orchestra, the mix of ethnic variety is quite impressive.

Since this is a list dedicated to “Dixieland” - a word hated by some - I’d like to bring to your attention this video of a JALC concert celebrating ragtime. Progressive is an adjective which applies to the arrangements and performance practice. Both of which I believe are remarkable. I don’t mind if you disagree, as long as you can say why.

Probably, many of the musicians are unknown to you. However, they are regarded as top artists and have learned a lot from the institutional education/memory of the JALC - formed in 1988.

While I find the orchestrations over-use the piccolo and Eb clarinet, they are still very good. I find the improvisations astounding - the way a different texture is set for each soloist. It took JALC 30 years to get this good - and you’ll hear lots of Caribbean touches.

James Scott’s "New Era Rag” is the first piece - an appropriate title to start the concert - brilliant solos from everyone -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adLZ37te4oE <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adLZ37te4oE>

Cheers,

Andrew Homzy
180 Pirates Lane