[Dixielandjazz] Responses to post about Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize for Literature

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Jul 14 15:53:37 EDT 2017

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans,  DJML

From:  Norman Vickers

Wow!  Steve Cheseborough responds to my post of October 2016 and I sent out
to both DJML and my own Musicians and Jazzfans list and got these
interesting reactions within hours.  Thanks to you hip musicians and jazzfan
friends.  I have collated the responses received for your convenience-read (
I hope) or skip-your choice. Conclusion: Dylan's Nobel Prize for literature
is still a hot-button item!

Thanks, Norman

www.jazzpensacola.com

-----------

Roger Villines, immediate past president of Jazz Pensacola and jazz
trumpeter and educator responded. Roger  makes reference to his graduate
study in jazz performance and education at University of North Texas.

Villines wrote:

Except for a few songs, I too am not a big Dylan fan. However, he did write
a lot of lyrics, which look a lot like poetry.

Here is link to Bob Dylan Lyrics book on Amazon. Pretty impressive output.

<https://www.amazon.com/Lyrics-1961-2012-Bob-Dylan/dp/1451648766/ref=sr_1_4?
ie=UTF8&qid=1500052703&sr=8-4&keywords=bob+dylan+book>
https://www.amazon.com/Lyrics-1961-2012-Bob-Dylan/dp/1451648766/ref=sr_1_4?i
e=UTF8&qid=1500052703&sr=8-4&keywords=bob+dylan+book

Also, some years ago one of my UNT professor friends had a big interest in
Bob Dylan music. Formed a band and presented Dylan based jazz, or maybe just
jazzy rock. I thought it was sort of odd, but he was really into it...

                                                            ---------

Andy Senior of Utica, NY is broadcaster, musician and editor of The
Syncopated Times.

Andy writes:

I know I commented at length on Dylan before. I, too, don't "get" him, or
why he merits Nobel status. He certainly borrowed from a number of sources
in creating his work--though none dare call it plagiarism.

If the Nobel committee was going to be handing out the Literature Prize to
songwriters, it's tragic that they didn't get to it while Willard Robison
was still alive.

Andy Senior

Publisher and Editor

The Syncopated Times

Exploring the World of Hot Jazz, Ragtime, and Swing

syncopatedtimes.com

Enjoy RADIOLA! anytime:  <http://radiola365.com> radiola365.com (Playlists,
archives, and more at  <http://radiolablog.blogspot.com> radiolarhythm.net)

--------

Joe Scherzer, physician, clarinetist/saxophonist writes:

I am with you re Dylan. I don't 'get it' either. Dylan utilized a phony
accent and phony name  - not admirable from my point of view.

--------

Paul Kurtz, trumpeter of many styles of music from Jacksonville, FL writes:

I've thought about this since my first comments a year ago and although I
still have my skeptic's opinion, I have thought about it. Dillon went
through so many phases in his musical and literary lives that they sort-of
show a panorama from folk, to hippy, to religious convert, and on forward.

Since I'm a studier of music more than words, I'm curious as to whether he
reflects this panorama in his writings. That would be the only thing that
would qualify him in my book because his music didn't really do so.

Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL

--End--