[Dixielandjazz] Pat Ladd, Beachcomber et al.

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 15 13:02:40 EST 2017

Pat Ladd and I had some off list fun after he'd picked up on an allusion from me to the line from the humourist Beachcomber,revived by Spike Milligan (or Milligna, the well-known typographical error) with his impersonation of

"Dr. Strabismus, whom God preserve, of Utrecht ...."
The one jazz reference I recall from Milligan's Beachcomber involved Milligan with his trumpet, in shiny black tie and a yet shinier suit, dating from before Milligan's birth-year of 1918, about to be lowered into a large glass tank two or three metres deep, and declaring in an accent which might well be described as "foreign" (in any country you cared to mention)

"immedgine I am Louiss Armschtrong, on ze deck of ze Tightennic..."
ah, the profundities!
A great lad and a great Ladd and my condolences to family and thanks where they belong for a very warm all too brief acquaintance!
Robert R. Calder