[Dixielandjazz] response to Bob R. on "lyrics" & more

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Tue Feb 28 08:58:37 EST 2017

Bob Ringwald mentioned that he never catches the lyrics to songs.  I must
admit that I am usually in the same category, also aiming my ears to the
voicing of instruments, etc., and ignoring the lyrics.  I can't even sing
the U.S. National Hymn, as I was always playing it whenever it was sung in
school, or later when I was in the Air Force Bands, so I don't even know the
words after "Oh, say can you see.."!  (Much prefer "America The Beautiful",
anyway!)  I have no problem with the Spanish National Anthem as there are no
words!!!     :>

My mention, however, of the lyrics to Blue Prelude & a few other songs that
have caught my ear, are the exception to what is probably a malady amongst
us "melody makers".

My wife couldn't believe that I never saw anything in ABBA's music until I
went to see the very unusual musical movie made of their tunes.  There, I
could then see the popularity of such a group, as most "normal" people hear
lyrics first, music second, rather than the other way around.  That musical
was particularly different than others as the words to the songs were
already written (& popular), and the story line was built around the lyrics.
Very unusual.

No one has commented yet on "La La Land" as a musical.  I saw it, and,
well..ok!  Just ok.  Some say the main theme is nice, but I can't remember
it at all after seeing the film, so it obviously didn't make an immediate
impact on me.  I said the film was Hollywood glamorizing itself, and that's
what I am now hearing critics say!  "Lion", now, is a proper movie.
Difficult to see, and to think that it could be so many kid's story, but it
is very well done.  No particular music to remember, though.

Jim