[Dixielandjazz] Canal Street Jazz Band

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Sat Feb 11 07:08:41 EST 2017

We’re into our 6th night at the hotspot of the Jazz scene in Madrid, Spain,
the Café Central.  Tonight & tomorrow, Sunday, finish out our week there.
We were one of the first bands to play the Central 35 years ago, and still
get regular week long invites!  A really great place to play, right in the
very center of the touristy area of Madrid, on a pedestrian only square.
Holds about 100 people, all sitting down
no standing allowed.  Very
enthusiastic audiences (but, also quiet at the right moments).  We’ve packed
it every night this week.

I actually have kept track of the songs we have played this week (not my
usual practice!), and surprised myself with the fact that we will have, by
the end of tonight, played 75 songs in the six nights
.not counting the few
that have to be repeated due to audience demand.

One of our secrets to 50 years of playing has been to introduce new songs
from time to time
more for our sake than the audience!  We are breaking in
“As Time Goes By” (from Casa Blanca) as a piano based theme this week,
taking advantage of the beautifully in tune baby grand piano at the Central.

For some very nice shots of members of the band, go to our FaceBook page
putting in Canal Street Jazz Band Madrid.  You should be able to go there
even if you don’t bother with FB.  Sorry, but it is all in Spanish, although
you can still enjoy some excellent photography.

Jim