[Dixielandjazz] Trying new songs........

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Fri Feb 3 09:56:49 EST 2017

We're lucky in our band that we have a large scope of musical interests
amongst us, and that we try out different songs from time to time that don't
particularly fit into the "Dixieland" mold.  Sometimes they work, sometimes,
not.  Here's one that has become a favorite for our fans at our
concerts..The Pink Panther:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdP59IFMx0s
The trumpeter is our new sub (from Croatia) who was filling in for our
regular trumpeter that nite.

We mix that type of songs with standards from the Dixie stable, and it adds
a nice blend for our audiences that are not too particularly into jazz as
such.  An easily recognized tune like the Pink Panther "draws in" the
unwashed & makes them converts!  They usually all go "ooohh" just after
hearing the ding of the cymbal & the da-da-dada, something that doesn't
necessarily happen with Weary Blues, or That's a Plenty!   :>

The video was taken at a private home that opens its doors once a week to a
concert + a jam session afterward.

They have an all-inclusive buffet & drinks package at the door for the
event.  Good crowd, as can be seen in the video.

Jim