[Dixielandjazz] Bix-- Was Bix's death caused tainted alcohol?

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Aug 4 14:52:13 EDT 2017

To: Musicians and Jazzfans list,  DJML

From: Norman Vickers

This speculative item about Bix Beiderbecke's death came out today in
Davenport's Quad City Times.  A little long to copy, so I send the link for
those who are interested.

<https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://qctimes.com/news/local/was
-bix-s-death-caused-by-alcohol-tainted-by-the/article_22147f16-c035-50bf-a75
8-1ce350d7b465.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTAwMDI1MjYxODk5ODQzNzI5MTUyGjRlMDFlNzR
iMGJjZjZkNWY6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNFiJXYFPwRaT11R4CxYDOuVEOFjCQ> Was Bix's
death caused by alcohol tainted by the federal government?

Quad City Times

A poster is displayed during the 2016 Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz ... a
predecessor of the Quad-City Times, the cause of death was pneumonia.

<https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://qctimes.com/news/local/ric
k-s-six-chill-in-the-air-stolen-vehicles-truck/article_d9a959ba-7843-11e7-a5
d1-97d434b272e3.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTAwMDI1MjYxODk5ODQzNzI5MTUyGjRlMDFlNz
RiMGJjZjZkNWY6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNGD7F19j6OfCsr5xTXPCn8Yzl9Xlg> Rick's
Six: Chill in the air, stolen vehicles, truck-eating bridge and Bix
poisoned? - Quad City Times

<http://news.google.com/news/story?ncl=http://qctimes.com/news/local/was-bix
-s-death-caused-by-alcohol-tainted-by-the/article_22147f16-c035-50bf-a758-1c
e350d7b465.html&hl=en&geo=US> Full Coverage

On a similar subject, Brendan Wolfe, a Davenport native now working for U.
of VA has written a new book about Bix entitled, "Finding Bix: The Life and
Afterlife of a Jazz Legend" published by U of Iowa Press.  I've just
finished reading it and plan to write a brief review for my own blog at
jazzpensacola.com.  However,  Lew Shaw plans to write a more detailed review
for The Syncopated Times.  (Yes, we're longtime friends and Lew and I
sometime exchange ideas; in this case he gets to carry the heavy load of the
detailed book review.)

In essence, my review will say that this is a somewhat breezy approach and
not recommended as the first book to read when researching the life of Bix.

There's a new Bix museum in Davenport which has just opened in time for the
annual Bix Jazzfest. Good wishes to all who work so hard to make these
wonderful things happen!

Norman

F. Norman Vickers

5429 Dynasty Drive