[Dixielandjazz] Roy Eldridge followed Louis Armstrong?

Fuzzy fuzzymail at fuzzyjazz.com
Tue Apr 11 15:13:34 EDT 2017

It’s great to see activity on the DJML again!  However, this current conversation about Miles leaves me thinking a thought I often have while listening to “early jazz” radio programs:

It’s like going to the store and seeing paper bags labeled, “Apples: $10 per bag.”

You buy a bag of apples, but get home only to find the bag is full of pears instead of apples.  It doesn’t mean the pears are bad…just that you were expecting to enjoy some apples.  Maybe you can find some enjoyment in the pears, but then again, maybe you hate pears.  The view will vary depending on individual taste.

Likewise, when a listener/participant of a radio show (or mailing list) is listening/participating due to the topic of early jazz – I think some amount of disappointment is to be expected (from some) when non-early-jazz is shared/discussed.  It’s not necessarily that the music/topic is bad – just not what is expected or necessarily shared in appreciation at the same level as early jazz.

Warmest Regards,
Fuzzy