[Dixielandjazz] Roy Eldridge followed Louis Armstrong?

jack wiard jack_wiard at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 10 22:07:48 EDT 2017

Hi Charles,

My first hearing of Miles Davis was at the Jazz Workshop in San Francisco in the 1960s. Not liking the music at all but believing one should hear someone at least three times before forming an opinion, I heard M . Davis again a few years later at the BOTH/AND CLUB in San Francisco.  I had a front row seat. Miles was introduced to huge applause.  The rhythm section set up an up tempo  c minor chord  [nothing else, just c minor].  Miles did a long solo, then the rhythm  [bass and  [too loud] drums only, then Miles again.  Tonally, one chord for  the  25 minute length of the song was very ,very boring.  I might add that during much of his solo, Davis faced the wall, so he could hear himself better. That meant the audience got to look at his backside for 25 minutes.  Of course, I liked the tone and flawless execution but for me, on this number, the music element was not evident.  At the end of the performance, the name of the 'song' was not announced, so even if one liked the 'song', you would not know what to ask for in the music store to buy it.  The applause was huge and there was not the slightest hint of a smile. He then walked off for a 30 minute break.

But wait,theres' more.  In the early 1970s, Davis appeared at the Sydney [Australia] Entertainment Centre [sold out 12,000people] with  a rock band.  Davis  would just blurt out a few notes to establish a rhythm pattern  for the guitars/drums to play  and then he would play for 1-2 minutes in a 10-12  minute  song.  He played 2 x 46 minute sets. Being a masochist, I stayed for all of it but by the end of the 1st set, about one third of the audience had  left  to go home.  Someone at the concert actually yelled out  'PLAY SOME JAZZ'.

Davis approached a microphone and said  'I DON'T PLAY TO ORDERS'.    That was the only announcement he made all night. Wow, such stage pressence [NOT].. And   that[hand on heart]is a true account of my three encounters with Miles Davis.

  Cheers   JACK WIARD