[Dixielandjazz] Roy Eldridge followed Louis Armstrong?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 19:31:32 EDT 2017

Sorry.  I didn't mean to be offensive.
I made the journey the other way round: I started listening to everything
when in my teens. including rock and roll, which in my native Poland (and
later here in Israel) was considered jazz, and became greatly disappointed
by modernists, in particular by the then greatest hero, Miles Davis, before
I ever heard Wild Bill Davison.  I had known the Brubecks ("Blue Rondo a la
Turk," for example) and the MJQ records by heart before I ever heard ABOUT
Wild Bill.  Gradually I lost all interest in their cool, to my ear -
lifeless - music.  By the mid 1960's  I dropped most "modern" jazz and
concentrated on jazz and swing.  I cannot see the connection between Miles
Davis and jazz.  nothing wrong in liking Miles Davis - it just does not
sound like jazz.  Eddie Condon had something to say on the subject: "A
terrible thing has happened to jazz: it became respectable."  That must be
the reason while so many musicians want their music classified as jazz.  I
wish I could claim this is an original idea, but the explanation comes from
Hughes Panassie's "The Unreal Jazz."
I apologize again,
Marek