[Dixielandjazz] DYLAN

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 15 16:19:09 EDT 2016

I noticed there was no remarking the fact that a member of (hardly 'the') a North American public interviewed by a BBC correspondent on British TV news referred to "Bob D---n"  as having taken his second name from "the American (sic!!!!) poet Dylan Thomas".I gather that Dill Jones was given to protesting when for instance Max Kaminsky as bandleader introduced him as "our English pianist" -- and what Dilwyn would have said about Dylan (ought to rhyme with Mullan, or at least with the s-word in "in my craft and sullen art..." ) being identified with the land rather of his death (and of course Dill's too) than that of his birth.

I have heard a great deal of the recorded blues repertoire, certainly everything known to anybody wherever was issued on the document label, first on LP and then on CD (with additions of items later discovered) and I've heard a lesser proportion of the Gospel discography -- which wasn't so enormous before 1943 and was also included in the Godrich and Dixon discography. And when someone read out an example of Bob named for the Welsh author of 'Fern Hill' in a TV report bells rang, blues bells or gospel bells (rather than the other bells listed by Edgar Allen Poe, who was an American poet but spent time in a part of Scotland referred to as "England" when I visited the sometime Poe dwelling in Philadelphia).

I gather from comments made by the English critic Christopher Ricks (based these past several years in USA) in the course of a lecture now on YouTube, that he had a high regard for Bob of the commonly mispronounced Welsh nom-de-lyricist. Those curious might follow up his name if anxious for possible illumination. Anybody who wishes to question the award and suggest derivations can look at books  by Paul Oliver and transcriptions of blues lyrics which I know exist. Since you'd have to be really concerned to want to check these beside the phrases of Bob D's songs, you will in the event have more energy to find them than I have at present.

The rhymes they are a ...
all the very best!Robert
Robert R. Calder