[Dixielandjazz] Bob Dylan-- Nobel Prize for Literature

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Oct 15 12:36:30 EDT 2016

I don’t have the OED definition, Patrick, but here’s one that gets to my use of the word “commodify” and its noun form—“(transitive) to treat (something) inappropriately as if it can be acquired or marketed like other commodities: you can't commodify art. commodification, noun.” I felt that folk music and the protest songs like Dylan’s, from the hippie days. before, and beyond, have often been packaged fraudently in books like those I reviewed. Few genuine forms of expression escape this commercial profanation, including of course blues and jazz.

Charlie