[Dixielandjazz] 1. Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 167, Issue 12 (Dick Baker)

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 19 13:59:03 EST 2016

Another not exactly musical post, referring to the lady singer in the short skirt reported without underwear. It took me back several decades, to when Asians with a broad Scottish accent were rare even in Scotland. I was walking home through the park from university when I was greeted by an Asian classmate, sunning himself like a lot of people on the flourishing but comfortably dry grass. He invited me and the other classmate I was with to sit down beside him. He lay back and suggested I assume the same position and look straight uphill. On this occasion too there was a young woman in a short skirt who had presumably decided that the then still quite novel option of tights had licensed the relinquishing of more than the longtime conventional elastic means of retaining nylon stockings.
I sat up quickly and the guy who'd invited me to pause observed, in demotic,

"see, if my faither saw that, he'd send me back to Delhi!"
Oddly enough, only yesterday I was reading an autobiography in which the author reported the no wholly unrelated case of a singer who when she rose to deliver her first number showed the band that far from being without Unterhosen she had somehow snagged the rear of her skirt in their waist elastic after a quick visit to the facilities. The author was pleased to report that he'd timed his arrival beside her onstage just as she finished her second song and contrived the required adjustment before she turned and presented a rear view to the audience. As for the probable response if she'd turned her hindparts in revealing condition  toward the audience, her gallant rescuer observed "it would have been like the launch of the Queen Mary."
I presume we can take it that this topic is now closed?
Robert R. Calder