[Dixielandjazz] To Really Appreciate Louis Armstrong's Trumpet, You Gotta Play it. Just Ask Wynton Marsalis | At the Smithsonian | Smithsonian

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue May 24 14:24:49 EDT 2016

To:  DJML

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Pensacola

Thanks to Pensacola jazzfan Mike Lynch,  here's link to Smithsonian Magazine
article about Armstrong's trumpet, and video clip of  Wynton Marsalis
playing it with a group from Smithsonian museum.  Should be of interest to
most of us on the list.

As a humorous aside, our local PBS station has just finished a re-run of the
Ken Burns series on jazz.  Reminded me of all the buzz among my musician and
jazz-fan friends after the original 17 hour series had finished on TV.
Everyone I talked with had his/her own ideas about how it SHOULD have been
presented-obviously different from that of Mr. Burns.  Someone even sent out
a "check-the-box" questionnaire.  One of the boxes was labeled "Too much
Wynton!"  (smile)

Thanks, Mike!

Norman

From: mikelynch1 at bellsouth.net [mailto:mikelynch1 at bellsouth.net]
:;
Subject: To Really Appreciate Louis Armstrong's Trumpet, You Gotta Play it.
Just Ask Wynton Marsalis | At the Smithsonian | Smithsonian

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/to-really-appreciate-l
ouis-armstrongs-trumpet-you-gotta-play-it-180959184/?no-ist

                                                                --End-