[Dixielandjazz] Joe Temperley RIP

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sat May 14 18:54:11 EDT 2016

Hi Folks,

The jazz scene in Scotland has been immensely saddened by the news of
the death of baritone saxophonist Joe Temperley at the age of 86. Joe
was physically a big bear of a man who sometimes appeared to be a bit
gruff, but, once you heard him play a ballad with unfailing sensitivity,
you quickly realised the perceived gruffness was all on the outside and
his inner being was capable of great warmth and tenderess. I worked with
him a lot over the years and will put together some thoughts in the next
couple of days once I've contacted his widow Laurie. In the meantime,
here's jazz fan journalist Alison Kerr's obituary in Glasgow's Herald
newspaper:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/14490155.Obituary___Joe_Temperley__Scottish_saxophonist_who_became_giant_of_New_York_jazz_scene/?ref=rl&lp=5

Ken Mathieson