[Dixielandjazz] A Natural Gas

pcrums pcrums at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:26:14 EDT 2016

For the sake of correctness, the complete name of K O Eckland’s gas tune
is, “A Natural Gas.”  This is important because in 1985 KO sent me a lead
sheet and, with tongue in cheek, told me that this was not written about my
band, Natural Gas Jazz Band.  Instead, he said, it was about a tune he
composed in the key of A natural. {grin}

As many of you know, KO was a real character and an expert wordsmith.  Here
are the lyrics he wrote to the chorus of his new composition:

*There’s got (sic) methane vapor*

*That’ll darken wall-paper:*

*When folks start lookin’*

*For broccoli a-cookin;*

*When the citrus crop*

*Has an early drop;*

*You can bet he’s a Natural . . . *

*Gas (prrt!), Gas (prrt!  Prrt!) Ga-a-as  (pprrrtt!)*

And it was signed, as usual,   “ Eckl&”

Phil Crumley

Natural Gas Jazz Band

Is this a great list, or what?