[Dixielandjazz] Request for information

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 20 23:50:19 EDT 2016

Phil Wilking asked:
> Can anyone tell me the composer(s), and maybe the publisher, of the tune "Let's All Go Down to New Orleans?"

Dear Phil,
Here is another tune with numerous titles.
	Why Don't You Go Down to New Orleans
	Go To New Orleans
	Come On Down To New Orleans
	Goin’ Back to New Orleans
	Let's All Go Down to New Orleans
Which doesn't help in pinning down the composer(s) credit.

The composer was Margaret Baird, as announced by Lillian Boutte on the Maryland Jazz Band of Cologne CD, recorded in New Orleans on 25 March 2008 and released on GHG BCD-489.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9LTvUCoT4k
Ms. Boutte also states that it was "played by the late Papa French's band..."
This I do know, because I have the Albert "Papa" French Original Tuxedo Jazz Band LP (Second Line 0112) autographed by the band when we were in New Orleans in September 1975.
The LP was recorded  in April 1975 and, in the notes by Harlan Wood, mention in made that, "Come To New Orleans, a new tune which will take its place beside the old favorite 'Bourbon Street Parade".
However, Papa French sings, "Why Don't Ya'll Go to New Orleans" throughout.

DJML lurker Dick Baker in the annotated notes to his latest 'Stomp Off Record Index' had this to say while researching the tune.

"Why Don't You Go Down to New Orleans (Margaret Baird)
John Gill’s Novelty Orchestra. Stomp Off 1227.
Lord says first rec. Mahogany Hall Stompers, New Orleans, Feb. 1989 (and Gill was in that band). Then this CD. All google hits come back to these and later recordings.
Says Gill, “This was a tune that Steve Pistorius found. I think that he knew Margaret Baird, or something like that. I don't know anything about her.”
First rec. (from Lord) is Mahogany Hall Stompers in NO in 1989 (with both Pistorius and Gill, who were on the SOS record in 1991.
12/28/13 talked to Chris Burke, who confirms that it was written by Margaret Baird, but says she never copyrighted it, and then that NO musicians Jerry Embry & Frankie Lynn (sp?) bought it from her and copyrighted it themselves.
But I couldn’t find any google hits on that title plus those names, so I think we can safely stay with Baird for now."

Armed with my own information provided above (and a bit of googling) I have just located the LoC Copyright Entry.

GO TO NEW ORLEANS: w & m Margaret J.
Baird. © Margaret J. Baird; 22Jun64;
EU831146

Dick Baker will be justified in taking me to task for not passing on the information I was unconsciously sitting on.
Kind regards,
Bill.