[Dixielandjazz] Music theory question

philwilking philwilking at cox.net
Tue Jun 28 23:23:44 EDT 2016

If you are writing for your own use only, call it whatever makes "grabbing"
it easiest.

If you are writing parts for a band, then you should consider the "milieu"
in which the chord appears. In the example you give, G-Bb-Db-E, probably
would be called "Gm6" in the middle of a lot of G chords or just before
changing to some kind of C chord.

BUT, it might also be called an "E-flat half-diminished (E-flat and a
slashed circle superscript)" in an Eb measure or just before an Ab measure.

Remember that your bassist wants to know what you are using for a root tone
in a measure so he can play mostly roots and fifth tones. This may affect
your chord name choice.

The same reasoning applies to other chord pairs, such as Gm7 and Bb6.

This topic is important to us beginners, so on-list probably is better.

Phil Wilking - K5MZF

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Ken Gates
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:02 AM
To: philwilking
Cc: Dixieland Jazz Mailing List
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Music theory question

​Asking for a little help with proper chord representation.
I make chord charts for my own use and where they may
come in handy at jam sessions for others.

For example--- the 4 notes of the chord Gm6 are also the
4 notes of Em7b5.   Piano and guitar can voice these chords
in a variety of ways.  However, I'm guessing that music
theory rules apply as to which symbol should be used
in a given chord sequence.

Anyone care to make a suggestion---maybe off list is best? 

More information about the Dixielandjazz mailing list