[Dixielandjazz] Music theory question

philwilking philwilking at cox.net
Tue Jun 28 23:23:44 EDT 2016

If you are writing for your own use only, call it whatever makes "grabbing"
it easiest.

If you are writing parts for a band, then you should consider the "milieu"
in which the chord appears. In the example you give, G-Bb-Db-E, probably
would be called "Gm6" in the middle of a lot of G chords or just before
changing to some kind of C chord.

BUT, it might also be called an "E-flat half-diminished (E-flat and a
slashed circle superscript)" in an Eb measure or just before an Ab measure.

Remember that your bassist wants to know what you are using for a root tone
in a measure so he can play mostly roots and fifth tones. This may affect
your chord name choice.

The same reasoning applies to other chord pairs, such as Gm7 and Bb6.

This topic is important to us beginners, so on-list probably is better.

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.