[Dixielandjazz] Bucky Pizzarelli's 90th birthday etd.

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sat Jan 2 21:38:38 UTC 2016

To:  DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans list

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

This came across my screen today.  Some of you already know that Bucky had a
stroke and is now in rehabilitation unit.  I learn also  that his guitarist
friend/partner Ed Laub has a facebook post periodically about Buckly
Wishing him a speedy and complete recovery.

( Yes, I know that DJML doesn't post photos-but I'm sending so that others
on M&JF list can see it.)

Norman

http://www.northjersey.com/njmg/img/logo2print_inverted.png

http://www.northjersey.com/njmg/img/orange_arrow.png

 <http://www.northjersey.com/> NorthJersey.com :
<http://www.northjersey.com/arts-and-entertainment> Arts and Entertainment :
<http://www.northjersey.com/arts-and-entertainment/music> Music

Bucky Birthday Bash, Jan. 4, goes on without him

January 2, 2016    Last updated: Saturday, January 2, 2016, 1:20 AM

The Record

 <javascript:;>

 <javascript:;> http://www.northjersey.com/designimages/printicon.gif

 <javascript:;> Print

http://www.northjersey.com/polopoly_fs/1.1483972.1451715858!/fileImage/httpI
mage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_650/010215-f-buckylmd50p.jpg

<http://northjersey.mycapture.com/mycapture/lookup.asp?originalname=MC_01021
5_F_buckylmd50p.jpg> Buy this photo

8 P.M. MONDAY, MORRISTOWN

BUCK UP, BUCKY

The great Saddle River guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli will have to sit out the
annual Bucky Birthday Bash at the Bickford Theatre in Morristown. The jazz
legend, who will be 90 on Jan. 9, suffered a mild stroke in October that has
put him, temporarily, out of commission. But the trio performing in his name
will carry on in spirit.

TELL ME MORE: The Paterson-born Pizzarelli will be well-represented Monday
by his longtime performing partner, Wyckoff guitarist Ed Laub, teaming up
with guitarist Frank Vignola and Saddle River bassist Martin Pizzarelli (one
of Pizzarelli's two musician sons; the other, guitarist John Pizzarelli, is
currently away on tour). The threesome will represent Pizzarelli's more than
70 years in the music business, playing with everyone from Benny Goodman and
Dizzy Gillespie to Ray Charles and Dion and the Belmonts. Pizzarelli's skill
and versatility have made him, for many decades, one of the industry's most
sought-after session men - not least on TV, where for many years he was part
of the bands for "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" and "The Dick
Cavett Show." Speedy recovery, Bucky.

QUOTE: "We have been celebrating Bucky's birthday for at least 10 years ...
The first year, we had a bunch of fortune cookies, and inside each fortune
cookie was 'Happy Birthday, Bucky.' On occasions, we've tried to have a cake
for him, but he doesn't really want it. He's so low-profile." - Eric Hafen,
producing artistic director, The Bickford Theatre.

DETAILS: 8 p.m. Monday at the Bickford Theatre, Morris Museum, 6 Normandy
Heights Road, Morristown. $15 in advance, $18 at door. 973-971-3706 or
morrismuseum.org

- Jim Beckerman