[Dixielandjazz] Basin Street Six - Margie

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 8 23:44:48 UTC 2016

Ken Mathieson wrote:
> ...The Spotify version is from a CD of Pete Fountain & His Basin Street Six and the cover art displayed shows a stern-on view of a Mississippi riverboat tied up at a wharf and the CD number on the cover is 504CD16. Does that correspond with the original LP issue?
> A can of worms indeed!

Dear Ken,
I also found that one this morning.
It was recorded in the early 1950s but not released until 1988.

Basin Street Six ‎– Bonaparte's Retreat
504 Records ‎– 504 LP.16

A1	Waiting For Robert E. Lee
A2	South Rampart Street Parade
A3	Angry
A4	Bonapartes' Retreat
A5	Original Dixieland One Step
A6	Land Of Dreams
A7	Mahogany Hall Stomp
A8	Royal Garden Blues
B1	Sailing Down The Cheseapeak Bay
B2	Millenburgs Joys
B3	Margie
B4	High Society
B5	I'M Goiing Home
B6	Farewall Blues

The LP cover has a pic of Bonaparte's Retreat.
   http://www.discogs.com/Basin-Street-Six-Bonapartes-Retreat/release/2291434

I also forgot to mention earlier that I have a 12" LP 'Strictly Dixie featuring George Girard and The Basin Street Six' (Mercury MG 20151).
It includes a great "Tin Roof Blues", a feature for Pete Fountain ala Irving Fazola.
Jess and I hope you enjoyed Hogmanay.

For those interested, most of this subject (but not the "Margie"query) was discussed on the DJML back in May 2006.
The DJML Archives are at
   http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/
Cheers,
Bill.