[Dixielandjazz] Basin Streeet Six - Margie

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Fri Jan 8 21:27:41 UTC 2016

Hi All,

Youtube wouldn't let me in either in Scotland, but Spotify has it and
their version is in Eb, not the written key of F, and it's at a
leisurely strolling tempo of 120 beats per minute. On the other hand,
Fuzzy's clip is certainly in A with a tempo of 145 bpm and to my ears
appears to have identical musical content. It's certainly not an
alternative take - they wouldn't have changed key just to do it at a
different tempo, especially as it has a vocal. On the other hand it does
seem very leisurely at 120 bpm, so is the version on Spotify running
slower with a pitch reduction of a whole tone from the written key? Are
there any mathematicians or acoustic experts on the list who could
verify whether raising the tempo from 120 to 145 bpm would raise the
pitch by 4 semitones or 6?

The Spotify version is from a CD of Pete Fountain & His Basin Street Six
and the cover art displayed shows a stern-on view of a Mississippi
riverboat tied up at a wharf and the CD number on the cover is 504CD16.
Does that correspond with the original LP issue?

A can of worms indeed!

Cheers,

Ken