[Dixielandjazz] Bloomsbury bookshop and the Chiltons

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 27 02:06:50 UTC 2016

 Anton Crouch wrote:
> Bill's mention of the Bloomsbury Bookshop in Great Ormond Street London brings back memories. ...when I was in London in the 70s and 80s I always popped-in for a chat and was taken by the size of the collection of books and the smallness of the shop. Literally, no room to swing a cat.

Dear Anton,
I certainly recall that small shop located in a Queen Anne terrace group near the hospital.
Which reminds me of Dave Carey's record shop.
The Swing Shop, 1B Mitcham Lane, Streatham, SW16.
Not as tiny as the Bloomsbury Bookshop, but stacked floor to ceiling, wall to wall with 78s, LPs and 45s.
And he knew where everything was.
Dave, a drummer, who ran a popular jazz band, provided our jazz records by regular mail order, but loved us to pick them up personally when we were in London.
It was another memorable destination.
Jess always looked forward to the visits, as Dave would order in tea, scones and cream for her from the two little ladies who ran the small shop next door.
Wonderful memories.
Kind regards,
Bill.