[Dixielandjazz] Bloomsbury bookshop and the Chiltons

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sat Feb 27 00:24:53 UTC 2016

Hello all

Bill's mention of the Bloomsbury Bookshop in Great Ormond Street London
brings back memories. John Chilton's wife, Barbara, ran the shop and it
was THE place to buy jazz books. On the few occasions when I was in
London in the 70s and 80s I always popped-in for a chat and was taken by
the size of the collection of books and the smallness of the shop.
Literally, no room to swing a cat.

On one occasion I was there with my teenage son when John called-in.
Very crowded and my son decided it would be more comfortable and less
boring for him if he waited outside. There can't be too many bookshops
where the customers queue to get in the front door!

All the best,
Anton