[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 20:36:58 UTC 2016

Last night, two friends and I went to hear the annual concert of Stan Ross
and The Stompers at the Young Israel Synagogue in Natanya.  The usual
suspects were there - Stan on trumpet and vocals, listmate Larry Brandt on
banjo, cornet/flugelhorn and vocals, Amnon Ben-Artzi on trombone, Jacues
Sany on soprano sax (he also sang Autumn Leaves in French),  Rory Rich on
guitar, Anton Ludski on sousaphone and the hard swinging Harvey "Zak"
Benson on drums.
>From the beginning Stan announced that his trumpet playing days were over,
and indeed did not solo, but he still led the band on his horn.  Jacques
was his usual excellent self, Amnon was as good as always, if not better,
Larry played some good solos on all his instruments, and the other members
were no slouches, either.  The programme was all standards, but very well
played.  Stan devoted "Sweet Sue" to a Sue who had helped organizing the
concert, with appropriately modified words.  Stan also told several good
jokes, some new to me.  There were refreshments during the interval (that's
what Brits use for "intermission").

A jolly good show, folks, a jolly good show!
Cheers,
Marek