[Dixielandjazz] Toots Thielemans-- trumpeter Glenn Zottola writes about their meeting

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Aug 26 12:09:45 EDT 2016

To: DJML and Musicians and JazzFans list

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Pensacola

Our Listmate, trumpeter/saxophonist Glenn Zottola responded to the post
about Toots' death.  He sent the first paragraph and I asked him to expand a
bit, so he added additional details.  What a great memory!  Thanks, Glenn.
That's what makes these two lists a blessing for me!  Thanks all who
contribute to the joy and knowledge of jazz.

From: Glenn Zottola [ <mailto:glennzottola at gmail.com>
mailto:glennzottola at gmail.com]

What a great artist Toots was and beautiful man and jazz legacy he left RIP.
I have a story for you. I was a teenager doing a jazz gig. The guitar player
on the gig walks in and says I just wrote this can we try it ? He puts the
music on my stand and at the top the name scribbled was "Bluesette" :)

I grew up in Portchester NY about 45 minutes out of Manhattan. Portchester
was on the border of Greenwich Connecticut. I believe this gig was somewhere
in Connecticut maybe Stamford or Norwalk not a concert maybe a restaurant
where they had jazz. This was just a jam session type thing that was common
back then. I don't remember who else was in the band except Toots and this
was the first time we played together. I would say this was around 1964 and
I was about 16 years old.

                                                            --End--