[Dixielandjazz] Invited artist with Canal Street

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Aug 26 07:12:02 EDT 2016

Last night, an old friend here in Madrid shared the stage with our band as
an invited guest.  If any of you have never heard the Spanish saxophonist,
Pedro Iturralde, you should search his name on YouTube.  You will find jazz
references & symphonic references, as Pedro is our top well-known
saxophonist.

He and I have played on countless records together, colaborated on jingles,
played in musicals in theaters together, tv shows, tours with the likes of
Tom Jones, and so many club gigs since the late 1960's.

He told me recently that he never gets the chance to play clarinet, and
asked if he could join us sometime, so last nite was the fruit of that
suggestion...to a packed house, which is a club in an old movie
theater....1020's style joint!

At one point, he asked if he could play a song, dedicated to us, totally on
his own.  It was Autumn Leaves, and you can see the video at
https://vimeo.com/180292074  It was a shame I wasn't able to get more
videos, but of course, I was busy playing!

Pedro is not a Dixielander, more into modern jazz on the tenor sax, but I
think he had a good time with us last night.  We certainly had a great time.

Be sure to search for Pedro on YouTube to see him with his own group.

I will post some photos on our FaceBook page:  Canal Street Jazz Band.

Jim Kash (Madrid)