[Dixielandjazz] Westy Westenhofer's Passing

Michael Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Mon Sep 21 07:31:54 PDT 2015

DJML Friends:

It's with sadness that I learned from Bob Ringwald's forwarded message
that Westy Westenhofer has passed.

Although not a close friend, I did meet him several times. Once at a
concert in suburban Chicago, IL when he was performing with Banjomania.
I took my similar band, the Banjo Barons Ragtime Band, from Milwaukee
and made a pilgrimage to hear them play -- even had a photo taken of the
two bands together. I next saw and talked to West at a Jazz festival a
year or so later -- the Bix in Davenport, IA if I remember correctly. I
mentioned the earlier meeting to him and he remembered it.

I didn't know he had health problems. Ironically, just last weekend I
was playing a cassette tape of the Palm Springs Yacht club that I had
purchased from him a number of years ago.

What a great musician, both on upright string bass and sousaphone. He
will be sadly missed in the musical world.

RIP old buddy!

Mike "Banjoman" Woitowicz