[Dixielandjazz] Three More Jazz Folks Are Gone Including Westy

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Sep 21 06:37:56 PDT 2015

This from Karen Beaton.

¯¯¯

I am saddened to share with you the passing of three jazz friends

who have touched our lives in different ways…

Lee Westenhofer known to us as “Westy”

that crazy guy behind the tuba whose whacky antics cracked us up – or maybe it

was the whacky guy with the crazy antics ~ either way he was fun-tastic!!!

from his son

It is with a heavy heart that I share the following news: my dad, Lee (Westy) Alan Westenhofer, passed away

this afternoon, September 17, 2015 at 5:20pm. He was surrounded by the love of our family, the generous

staff from Sharp Memorial Hospital, and he listened to Allan Sherman, Spike Jones, Shooby Taylor,

Will Ryan & the Cactus County Cowboys and, of course, the Palm Springs Yacht Club!

His organs were shutting down and we had run out of options for further tests, trials and miracle procedures.
The myriad of nurses, nurse practitioners, doctors, nephrologists, electrophysiologists, etc. worked tirelessly
through two visits at Sharp and a middle interval at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.  We are overwhelmed
with emotion, but primarily feel so humbled by the tremendous outpouring of love and support from our various
families: TMR, Disney, musical comrades in arms, Bohemian Grove, Michigan, Florida and across the country.

My dad was a powerhouse of love, and his contribution to the worlds of music, comedy, and entertainment
will never be forgotten. I just feel blessed to have spent such wonderful days and nights with my hero,
my biggest supporter, my dad. I will never forget you! Xoxoxo (fwded without name)

John Dieball, co-director and founder of the Orange County Classic Jazz Festival

(Costa Mesa), gave us so much musical pleasure every August for I can’t recall

how many years by together with Connie & Larry Baker producing one of the

bestest in the west of all fests!!!  Summer-time is not the same without OC!

from Joan Dieball
I’m very sorry to have to tell you that my darling John passed away at 11:30 p.m. yesterday.

He’s had a rough time since March and the last two days he could hardly breathe.

I was preparing to take him into emergency when he grew worse, I called 911 but he passed before they

got here.  He wanted no extreme measures taken to bring him back and I abided by his wish.

He had no quality of life anymore and talked often about turning off his defib. His funeral is pending until

we can talk to my pastor at St. Norbert’s in Orange.  John converted to Catholicism about a month ago.

He told me he was thinking about it for about 6 years. So sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I can’t even

imagine life without him but so grateful I had him almost 60 yrs.  Love, Joan

Dottie Baird, wife of Mike Baird, reed player with Titanic Jazz Band.

Dottie will be remembered as our sweet friend, a loving musician’s wife and lover of Dixieland Jazz

by those close to the Titanic Jazz Band and as far back as South Frisco not to mention we fans.
Dottie always had a smile and a hug for ya, she loved to dance!

I will miss her out-of-the-blue fone calls ~ we’d  stop’n chat ~ and emails asking for help with some

computer problem – she was determined to master that thing, like anybody could, least of all me,

gotta applaud her persistence!!!  At home with Mike, Dottie suffered a massive heart attack

Thursday evening, December 17th and passed away very suddenly.

Times like this my feelings can’t seem to find their way from my heart

thru my fingertips onto this keyboard, tried a few times but nothing

comes out right ~ so with a huge sigh I bid farewell to three jazzy

friends with love to their families….

…Karen{

Bob Ringwald piano, Solo, Duo, Trio, Quartet, Quintet
Fulton Street Jazz Band (Dixieland/Swing)
916/ 806-9551

I always wondered what the job application is like at Hooters. Do they just give you a bra and say, "Here fill this out"..?