[Dixielandjazz] Spanish songs from New Orleans

Bert mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 24 03:28:15 PDT 2015

Please always keep in mind that in New Orleans there was no recording equipment at the time! Most of what we call New Orleans Jazz today was recorded in places like Camden, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles (Kid Ory's first records) So distance wise, certainly for those times, pretty much removed from the source, and further away from Cuba, Puerto Rico and other former Spanish Colonies.
I would suggest a listening to : - New Orleans Joys , by Jelly Roll Morton. - Mamamita - Jelly Roll Morton- Spanish Shawl , several bands I guess, but certainly Fletcher Henderson, or Sam Lanin. Composed by Elmer Schoebel. - Moonlight Fiësta (also named Puerto Rican Chaos) - Barney Bigard's small band version is the nicest, but there is also a full band recording - Duke Ellington, composed by Juan Tizol. - Caravan - Juan Tizol- Conga Brava - Ellington, also Tizol- Search more Juan Tizol compositions .(According to Barney Bigard, in his biography, Tizol was the BEST musician in the Duke Ellington band during his time)- Rumba Negro - Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orchestra- Louis Armstrong: Peanut Vendor (It actually was recorded by a latin American band, before Louis, including the trumpet part. Louis played the trumpet bit better, but the Latin band had a better groove!)
Ralph Escudero, the tuba player who played with Henderson and others like mcKinney's Cotton Pickers, like Tizol came from Puerto Rico.
As these examples show, the influence is definitly there, widespread, but not always very clear.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma