[Dixielandjazz] Spanish songs from New Orleans

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Oct 23 21:59:28 PDT 2015

I’ve always wondered if the claims of Spanish and Caribbean influences on early jazz were exaggerated. The tango craze and Morton’s few left hand tango rhythms are cited, but I don't hear a more widespread or pervasive influence in early jazz The Spanish flamenco dance rhythms, with tapping and castanets, seem a good candidate, but the where do those show up in early jazz? I’d like to be convinced otherwise, but it seems that ragtime syncopations that carried over to jazz and the fluid triplet feeling of jazz phrasing are dependably derived from African sources. Any help from you-all would be appreciated.

Charlie