[Dixielandjazz] The New Melbourne Jazz Band

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 01:34:33 PST 2015

It so happened that I heard lots of antipodean jazz - Graeme Bell in
Czechoslovakia, The Southern Jazz Group (late '40's - early '50's) and,
more recent - the NMJB, "Rhythm Kings" from 1991 and "By Request" from
1993.  What a fantastic band!  I listened four times to each, and never got
tired of them.  Unfortunately, neither is still available, but both make
one understand why that band was so enthusiastically received in Sacramento
and in Victoria B.C.  I have never read liner notes as laudatory as those
to "By Request," and I agree with almost everything therein.
BTW, as you all know, the band  is still going strong.

Well done, Ross!
Cheers